Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Schedules and Routines

I strongly believe that schedules and routines help students feel safe and comfortable which allows them grow as a learner, build their self confidence and take risks. They become successful learners. At the BTS night talk, I emphasized the importance of schedules, routines, and child responsibility.  Here is a screen shot of my BTS flipchart:
 
On my website under "Child Development"is an outstanding link by Maci Elkins titled Routines and Schedules for ChildrenHer article, titled Ready, Set, Routine!, simply explains the importance of schedules and routines for children. She states, "Routines involve repetition.  Repetition involves predictability. Predictability involves stability. Stability involves security.  Kids crave routines because routines make kids feel safe and secure. ... Routines also provide opportunities for children to experience success in what they are doing, which then promotes self-control and self-esteem."

In my classroom, I have established a weekly schedule and post/use various routines with the children. Here are some:
  • My weekly schedule is on my website and posted in my classroom for parents.
  • A daily schedule is read with the children every morning from the morning message on the interactive whiteboard and it's posted using icons. Children refer to this schedule often throughout the day:
  • During Reading & Writing Activity Workshop (60 minutes, 4x a week), a "must do" activity for all is introduced with a short mini lesson. These "must do" activities are carefully and thoughtfully chosen to further the student's learning. I never look at it as copying a worksheet and assigning it so the children have something to do. Instead, it's developing and building upon a standards based skill. Sometimes the must do is partner reading a book from their book bin, helping others remember to use their inside voices, or choosing something new from Alphabet City or Writing City. During this time, I can do guided reading with small groups, children use the computers to build reading skills, & various choice activities are set up for children. I created this movie a few years ago that showcases the classroom environment during this Reading & Writing Activity Time. Children are allowed to choose activities that are of interest to them, which allows for the rotation of small homogeneous groups for guided reading and computers. Everyday during and at the end of this time, we pause and reflect on our choices and learning... I have found that this inspires others to make good choices, builds their independence, and prevents distraction to everyone's learning. The children know when and where to go by listening for the signal chime and looking at this schedule:
  • Writing Time (30 minutes, 3x a week) is the area I'm eager to develop to be more in line with Lucy Calkins Units of Study. I'm currently beginning to make charts with the students as well as improve "Writing City" in the classroom.
  • Learning Centers (90 minutes, 1x a week) is a time for students to work in heterogenous groups and rotate together to five Learners Centers. This is a time for direct instruction, introduction of a new game, and integration of their learning. Three parent helpers, my classroom assistant and myself each run a center. Students know where and when to go with the ringing of a bell and this chart:
With the above schedules and routines in place, I believe I help the "students develop and practice resiliency skills and strategies to strive for academic achievement, and establish intellectual and emotional safety in the classroom" (CSTP 2.3). But I would like to help the children internalize this and become aware of and responsible for their learning. As stated in the innovated column of CSTP 2.3, I would like to "share responsibility with the students for the establishment and maintenance of a safe physical, intellectual, and emotional environment focused on high quality and rigorous learning" and have "students demonstrate resiliency in perseverance for academic achievement".  I think the work at the Teacher's College Reading and Writing Project with Lucy Calkins and Art Costa's, Habits of Mind Across the Curriculum will help me achieve this. Both are a way of teaching that involves the student to become aware of and take ownership for his/her learning. I am beginning to view the NOYCE Foundation, ECRW, I Am A Writer videos. I've never heard of this foundation and really appreciate seeing writing workshop in action.

No comments:

Post a Comment